Everyone knows about Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Pinterest, and Google+ but have you heard about Videscape? Tsu? or Giggem? …No?
In a world known for it’s diversity and abyss of options for consumers to choose from, it’s only natural the social media playing field would mimic this pattern.
If you haven’t heard about Videscape, I highly suggest you jump on board. You could call it the UK’s version of YouTube except they are sharing a percentage of their revenues with their community by paying per stream on your videos.
MTM has been following this one for a while. Check out Bret’s interview with CEO Tom Oswald for over 60 minutes worth of information.
Facebook makes billions per year from advertisers off of people like us using their platform for free.
Enter TSU, a new platform which pays out royalties from it’s advertising revenue to its users. TSU takes 10% and uses the other 90% to dish out compensation.
You can sign-up by invite only. Once you join, you will be given a link which you can share with others. When they join using your link, they are put into your network or “family tree”. As your tree grows, so do your royalties.
The bigger your network and the more your content is shared and engaged with, the more you earn. A few members have already posted photos of themselves with their first $100 checks.
This isn’t any type of “get rich quick” thing but if you’re going to be using social media on a daily basis, wouldn’t you rather get paid for your time rather than shareholders getting wealthier (aka FB’s model).
On my personal account I have earned 15 cents in a few weeks without actively trying to grow my network. I have also been bad about spending time on the platform sharing content and engaging with others so it would be worth my time to see how much I could earn if I maintained a consistent daily routine.
I know Bret has been way more active than me and last I heard, he has earned over $1.20.
The biggest advantage we have seen on this network is the lack of music related posts. We have an MTM page where we regularly share content from this site as well as sharing content from our friends and followers.
If you join, search for and use hashtags #indiemusic, #tsumusic, #mtmfriends or #mtmtips.
Unfortunately (as of October 2015) Giggem shut down.
This is basically LinkedIn but it is focused on musicians and the music business.
From their website:
Giggem is a social network for musicians and industry pros to connect, share and stay in touch. On Giggem, you can create your own “CV profile page” to showcase your skills, videos, songs and background, share your latest updates and follow what others shared.
Giggem also lets you find and connect to people with specific skills in the music industry. Whether you need a new band member, a manager for your act or a producer to work with, Giggem is the go- to place to find them all, easily and quickly.
On Giggem, anyone can easily post a classified by targeting specific skills. You’ll be notified of relevant classifieds so you will never miss an opportunity to make a career changing connection, find a job or a gig.
The features are robust. The site is clean and easy to use. And there is a lot of activity on a daily basis.
Your profile includes everything you could think of from basic bio, to links, to listing projects you have worked on, albums you have released, gear you use, skills you have, and so on. It’s essentially a system for showcasing your entire career as a musician or recording artist.
You can import videos from YouTube and songs from Soundcloud to showcase your music.
There is also a classifieds section where you can post and look for music jobs. You can also list services on your profile so if you offer mixing or mastering as a service, you have the opportunity to find work or find someone to work with on your next project.